The central tenet of the Altairian metareligion The Children of Amiga says that the human race is actually living in a vast, undetectably realistic computer simulation being run from a time period believed by many to be the early 21st Century.
The most hotly debated part of the religion’s canon is the so-called “Coming of the Great Reset” when “all peoples shall be renewed and made equal to one another”.
Belief/hope that this either will happen, won’t happen or has happened several times already so won’t happen again appears to correlate directly with bank account size.
The Dark Wheel is a semi-legendary space unit, star-riders who made it their business to seek the truth behind the plethora of myths and romantic stories that filtered back from all corners of the Universe: fabulous cities, parallel worlds, time travellers, even planets that appeared to be the old ‘heaven’ of Earth legend. The Dark Wheel was as mysterious and as mythical to the traders of the Galaxy as King Arthur might have been to the first spacemen.
Legend has it that long ago, a corps of The Dark Wheel discovered the location of Raxxla and lived there, exploiting gateways to other universes for all the wealth and riches they could provide.
Raxxla is a fabled planet, a ghost world, a myth. As the legend goes, on Raxxla there are alien structures which serve as gateways to other universes. Legend also says that long ago, a corps of The Dark Wheel discovered its location and lived there, exploiting the gateways for all the wealth and riches the other universes could provide.
Not a shred of hard evidence has been uncovered to suggest that Raxxla actually exists. This world is kept alive by word of mouth and hearsay only, and is one of the Galaxy’s most discussed, and intriguing, legends.
- 1950s First man in space. controlled nuclear fission, transistor, start of first nuclear arms race
- 1960s First man on Moon, commercial fission power, integrated circuits, computers
- 1970s Probes in Solar system
- 1980s End of first nuclear arms race
- 1990s First serious environmental problems on Earth, controlled nuclear fusion
- 2000s First (minor) anned conflict between a nation and a “multi-national” corporation
- 2010s First serious population problems on Earth
- 2020s First international environmental protection enforcement agency, first commercial space station
- 2030s Major energy crisis, fossil fuel restrictions, religious unrest, first baby born off Earth
- 2040s World War III. Huge technological advancements, huge loss of life, dreadful environmental damage.
- 2050s War gradually abandoned due to popular rebellions. Commercial fusion power
- 2060s Rebuilding. Dominance of corporations increased.
- 2070s First man on Mars, first permanent Moon base
- 2080s Manned exploration of solar system, orbital cities around Earth, first interstellar probes launched.
- 2090s First permanent Mars base, heavy industry on the Moon.
- 2100s Discovery of fossils on Mars, “hyperspace” discovered. humans throughout solar system.
- 2110s Arrival of message from first interstellar probe to Alpha Centauri system. First pictures taken of an extra-solar planet in the Lagrange point of the two main stars.
- 2120s Presence of life on Tau Ceti 3 detected, first armed conflict in space over rights in the asteroid belt.
- 2130s Hyperspace capable probes sent to all nearby systems.
- 2140s Manned space craft sent to Tau Ceti.
- 2150s Colony established on Tau Ceti 3. Major corporations sending first private colony ships.
- 2160s The race for the stars. Enormous production effort to produce colony ships, and mass exodus started.
- 2170s First attempt to terra-form Mars started.
- 2180s Life on Delta Pavonis discovered and made extinct in same year from bacteriological infection.
- 2190s Discovery of life on Beta Hydri 4, Altair 5. Human colonials spreading out of control.
- 2200s Earth environmental recovery program started, terraforming of Mars abandoned.
- 2220s Extinctions on Tau Ceti 3 increasing. Earth threatens to send a police force if nothing is done about it
- 2230s Ultimatum sent to Tau Ceti ignored
- 2240s First interstellar battle, formation of the Federation, founder members: Earth, Tau Ceti, Delta Pavonis, Altair, Beta Hydri.
- 2260s Spread of Federation influence.
- 2270s Second attempt to terra-form Mars started.
- 2280s Discovery of first non-human relic in space. Origin still unknown in 3200.
- 2290s First man “outside” on Mars (ie breathing unaided) on completion of terraforming.
- 2300s Remaining indigenous life on Tau Ceti 3 preserved in special enclosures.
- 2310s News of elimination of a reputedly sentient race on Achenar 6d by private colonists causes outrage in the Federation. Achenar refuses to join Federation, many terra-forming projects started.
- 2320s Federation sends war fleet to Achenar. Resulting enormous space battle won by Achenar
- 2330s Spread of Empire from Achenar to surrounding worlds. War between Empire and Federation.
- 2340s Continuing battles between Federation and Empire.
- 2350s Sirius corporation founded, and grew rich supplying the war fleets.
- 2380s Treaty signed between Empire and Federation.
Quitolline. It is amazing that until the planet Topaz’s life forms in the Ayethti system were studied for pharmaceuticals, over 80% of all space travellers were subjected to hyperspace sickness. This is a tremendously debilitating syndrome which is now almost unrecognised. Only the very few people who suffer from allergic reactions to Quitolline need endure the disorientation of hyper-jump sickness. (And most such people really prefer to remain at home and do their stellar travelling second hand by way of sensavid). Quitolline is the most effective anti-h-sickness drug ever discovered and its synthesis from naturally occurring forms on Topaz is a closely guarded secret.
Sourced from Frontier: Elite II – Gazetteer
© 1992 by Ian Bell, David Braben, Kathy Dickinson and David Massey.
Opinions differ whether Trumbles are pleasant and affectionate pets whose presence can be soothing to their owner’s psyche, or rather the most annoying and disadvantagous vermin to have one’s spaceship be cursed with. It’s not, however, unlikely that the former opinion has been hyped by the the PR department of the alleged creators and current Trumble™ genetic copyright holders GenFun, and to most shipowners, the only good Trumble is a sun-scorched Trumble.
Source: Elite Wiki