- 1950s First man in space. controlled nuclear fission, transistor, start of first nuclear arms race
- 1960s First man on Moon, commercial fission power, integrated circuits, computers
- 1970s Probes in Solar system
- 1980s End of first nuclear arms race
- 1990s First serious environmental problems on Earth, controlled nuclear fusion
- 2000s First (minor) anned conflict between a nation and a “multi-national” corporation
- 2010s First serious population problems on Earth
- 2020s First international environmental protection enforcement agency, first commercial space station
- 2030s Major energy crisis, fossil fuel restrictions, religious unrest, first baby born off Earth
- 2040s World War III. Huge technological advancements, huge loss of life, dreadful environmental damage.
- 2050s War gradually abandoned due to popular rebellions. Commercial fusion power
- 2060s Rebuilding. Dominance of corporations increased.
- 2070s First man on Mars, first permanent Moon base
- 2080s Manned exploration of solar system, orbital cities around Earth, first interstellar probes launched.
- 2090s First permanent Mars base, heavy industry on the Moon.
- 2100s Discovery of fossils on Mars, “hyperspace” discovered. humans throughout solar system.
- 2110s Arrival of message from first interstellar probe to Alpha Centauri system. First pictures taken of an extra-solar planet in the Lagrange point of the two main stars.
- 2120s Presence of life on Tau Ceti 3 detected, first armed conflict in space over rights in the asteroid belt.
- 2130s Hyperspace capable probes sent to all nearby systems.
- 2140s Manned space craft sent to Tau Ceti.
- 2150s Colony established on Tau Ceti 3. Major corporations sending first private colony ships.
- 2160s The race for the stars. Enormous production effort to produce colony ships, and mass exodus started.
- 2170s First attempt to terra-form Mars started.
- 2180s Life on Delta Pavonis discovered and made extinct in same year from bacteriological infection.
- 2190s Discovery of life on Beta Hydri 4, Altair 5. Human colonials spreading out of control.
- 2200s Earth environmental recovery program started, terraforming of Mars abandoned.
- 2220s Extinctions on Tau Ceti 3 increasing. Earth threatens to send a police force if nothing is done about it
- 2230s Ultimatum sent to Tau Ceti ignored
- 2240s First interstellar battle, formation of the Federation, founder members: Earth, Tau Ceti, Delta Pavonis, Altair, Beta Hydri.
- 2260s Spread of Federation influence.
- 2270s Second attempt to terra-form Mars started.
- 2280s Discovery of first non-human relic in space. Origin still unknown in 3200.
- 2290s First man “outside” on Mars (ie breathing unaided) on completion of terraforming.
- 2300s Remaining indigenous life on Tau Ceti 3 preserved in special enclosures.
- 2310s News of elimination of a reputedly sentient race on Achenar 6d by private colonists causes outrage in the Federation. Achenar refuses to join Federation, many terra-forming projects started.
- 2320s Federation sends war fleet to Achenar. Resulting enormous space battle won by Achenar
- 2330s Spread of Empire from Achenar to surrounding worlds. War between Empire and Federation.
- 2340s Continuing battles between Federation and Empire.
- 2350s Sirius corporation founded, and grew rich supplying the war fleets.
- 2380s Treaty signed between Empire and Federation.
Titan City orbits Titan around Saturn. It is of historical interest only in that it used to be a fabulous holiday resorts when they were the most distant settlements. Unfortunately with easier travel they changed from very pleasant venues to the vacation destinations of the masses. The quiet atmosphere has been shattered by loud music intended to confince you that a good time is being had by all. It blares forth from gift boutiques selling such items as a bottle of Genuine Red Spot Gas and Saturn Ring Rock jewellery.
Columbus orbits Io around Jupiter It is of historical interest only in that it used to be a fabulous holiday resorts when they were the most distant settlements. Unfortunately with easier travel they changed from very pleasant venues to the vacation destinations of the masses. The quiet atmosphere has been shattered by loud music intended to confince you that a good time is being had by all. It blares forth from gift boutiques selling such items as a bottle of Genuine Red Spot Gas and Saturn Ring Rock jewellery.
Sol System, orbits Earth
Heavy industry was moved here in the early days and it is based around the only starport. Apollonius city. This is another must for the tourist being the first city to be built on an airless surface. The majority of the settlement is subterranean and the vast halls like chasms are quite breathtaking. Many beat a path to the famous Museum of Humanity which has many rare exhibits from early space exploration, you will wonder how we managed to get where we are today!
In 2290 Mars became the first planet to be terraformed successfully but not before several aborted attempts. Major corporations based their administration centres here when land was very cheap in the early days and Mars seemed like the Garden of Eden compared to the ravaged Earth. The two major cities are Quenisset and Olympus Village, both are very cosmopolitan and manicured in appearance. There are many bijou bars and restaurants designed for businessmen to impress and to strike deals in privacy. All sorts of service and entertainment industries thrive as they pander to the needs of the over indulged. The environment is tailored to be tasteful, even the animal life looks like an attractive accessory, so whilst it is Earth-like, Mars has a very sterile feel about it.
The Zelada system was colonised at roughly the same time as Ququve, but by a fundamentalist religious sect, looking for a world to conduct a penance for humanity. The conditions they found on New Africa suited their requirements to a remarkable degree. the life was tough, uncompromising and harsh. The arrivals on New Africa had to cope with a bitter climate, coupling torrential sleet and electrical storms with hurricane strength winds and fast moving glaciers. The first three settlements were overmn by these natural forces and all of the initial equipment they brought from Quphieth was lost within the first decade.
The first thing to strike a person casually browsing through a planetary catalogue is the remarkable similarity between the systems of Sol and Zeesse. This superficial similarity led to very high hopes amongst the initial settlers, who christened their world `Paradise’. This hopeful start was soon dispelled when the colonists arrived at their destination. The first bases were established on the minor planet Gonzalez’s Grave, named after the unfortunate shuttle pilot whose crash-landing was to be symptomatic of the initial set-backs the colonists experienced.
The Zearla system is home base for the vast majority of the miners who work the nearby worlds and systems in this sector of space. The city of Jeffries on Fraser houses the head office of Wreaken Construction and Mining, the most prosperous of the independent mining and development companies which work at the edge of the Federation. Employing over a quarter of a million full time staff and owning sole mineral rights to some forty nine planets, the Wreaken company can be found throughout most of the frontier and Federation Worlds.
The territorial rights over the Zeaex system has been disputed between the Empire and Federation for over two centuries. The mineral rich inner planets, together with a diverse range of gas giants make this an economic centre for the region. The presence of a habitable world greatly increases the system’s strategic importance. The inhabitants of the worlds of this system try to balance the need for trade with a desire to be left well alone. Tourists are welcome, but many are viewed with deep suspicion by the residents. Both Federation and Empire have naval bases within the system, which limits the efforts of pirates, but puts pressures on legitimate traders.
This is an amazing system in fact a combination of co-orbital systems, including Wolf 629 and the white dwarf VB8 (named after Van Beisbrock in ancient times). The sky provides a stunning spectacle as six different bodies are visible together. The scene from Landfall has been made famous by the painting, Six Sisters by Dee Kosmala.